Oct 24, 2008

CRKT Ultima Review


For my birthday this year, I received a Columbia River Knife and Tool Ultima knife from my wonderful fiance. I thought I would share with you my first impressions and my thoughts about this knife.

First off, I believe that a first impression is a lasting one. Well, CRKT had me hooked with my first impression. The knife seems to be extremely sturdy and well built, along with a blade edge that seems to compete with much more expensive knives on the market. The Zytel grip with "ooze grooves", seems like they will do their job, which is channel away water and mud. I feel like I'm holding a hard AquaTread tire. The stainless steel blade with light bead blasting has what CRKT calls Zeff serrated edges. These serrations are quite larger and more angled than most serrations I find on other knives. The butt end of the Ultima has a pry tip, which I wasn't 100% convinced was needed, until I found out that I used the pry tip before I ever cut anything. Another great feature of the Ultima. The Ultima's sheath is extremely rugged and can be mounted and carried in numerous configurations. It appears to be "over engineered", but the versitility of the sheath makes it stand out as one of the best out there. It can be carried on your belt the traditional way with the regular belt loops, and can be secured to your leg with either the removable leg strap, or with the 550 paracord that is lashed half way up the sides. The leg strap is a bit of a pain to remove, but not so much that I would make a big deal out of it. There is also slots in the back of the sheath so that the user can attach the knife to any pack or vest with MOLLE attachment webbing. You would have to buy some sort of attachment strap like a Maxpedition Malice Clip or Tactical Tailor Malice Clip; both of which are under $5.00. There is also a good size utility pocket on the front of the sheath that is big enough for a multi-tool or sharpening stone. The Ultima fits secure and snug into the sheath by using a injection molded liner and two fastening straps with snaps. (Both straps are removable also.)

I have yet to take the CRKT Ultima out to the field with me and test it's durability and overall performance, but like I stated earlier; my first impression was that this is a great knife with loads of useful features. I'm looking foward to getting out and actually field testing this thing, and when I do, I will make sure to update this post with my feedback.

Overall, I believe that Columbia River has outdone themselves with the Ultima. It will definitely be a part of my survival gear, and go on all my camping and hiking adventures with me.

Until next time, be prepared, and live to see tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Did this knife serve you well on the field? What is your review

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you buy the black version you should consider that the two plastic bars on the inside of the sheath that hold the blade in place,will eventualy wear down the paint. This happened to mine and i was very disturbed because it compleatly ruined the intimidating image of the blade. Utherwise it is sturdy and the grip is quite comfortable. The sheath seems a bit over engineered. However it searves its purpose quite well. The thy strap is also quite comfortable to wear and serves as an alternative carry, instead of mounting it on a pack (wich is quite difficult. The MOLLE webbing on the back is quite poor though. Although i have never really used the pry bar on the bottom (mostly because it is too thick)it is Overall a very well balanced, well designed knife. Too bad it is made in Taiwan

    ReplyDelete