Nov 24, 2008

CTS Defensive Handgun Skills 1 Class


"INDEX!", "HEEL-TOE, HEEL-TOE!", "OVER THE TOP!" These are just some of the phrases I heard yelled at me on Saturday while attending Center Target Sports' Defensive Handgun Skills 1 class, taught by CTS's founder/owner Edward Santos in Post Falls, Idaho.

I was a little hesitant to attend this class at first, but after the first hour, I realized I didn't know nearly as much as I thought I did when it comes to defensive shooting. Mr. Santos is a retired Army officer, author, and a reserve deputy for Kootenai County, Idaho. Throughout the 8 hour class, Ed was able to point things out that I have never thought of, much less considered when drawing, firing, and re holstering. The class is limited to 10 students, cost $150 to attend, and you have to bring your own 250 rounds of ammunition, (you can buy it at the class or bring in your own from another store) a holster, spare magazine, magazine carrier, and hearing and eye protection. The first 4 hours of class is in a classroom environment, but believe me, Ed makes that 4 hours fly by like nothing. His antics and teaching strategy keeps your attention and really makes you think hard about your own shooting habits. After the first 4 hour segment (every 1 hour of class time, you get a 10 minute break) you break for a 1 hour lunch. You can bring your own lunch, but there is a variety of fast food chains within a few blocks of Center Target Sports. When you return for lunch, everybody meets in the classroom with all your range gear and move to the indoor tactical shooting range. Once inside the range, Ed will brief everyone on his safety rules, and then you jump right into the practical exercises. For the next 45 minutes or so, you will learn Ed's way of drawing, drawing and moving, changing magazines, changing magazines and moving, shooting while moving, and then learn how to put all these into one fluid movement. Once Mr. Santos feels comfortable with everyone in the group, you go straight into the live fire portion of the class. Most of the shooting involves draw and move, dynamic grip, sight picture, fire, and re holster. After the stationary firing, Ed puts out targets that require you to move from your firing line, and he also makes some of the targets move and come towards you. If you are like me and carry a .45 caliber with a 7 round magazine, you will become VERY proficient with changing magazines compared to the guys/gals with high capacity magazines. I found myself dealing with mis-feeds and magazine changes a heck of alot more than I wanted to throughout the day. Ed also displayed his ability in shooting, and all I can say is, I'm glad I was on his side of the barrel. (Even while he shot his Glock holding it upside down.) I don't want to spoil the whole class for you, so I will finish by saying, Edward Santos and Center Target Sports earned a lifelong customer out of me and Ed will see me in a whole lot more of his classes, including this one. (You can repeat any class you've already attended for the rest of your life for free.) Thank you for your professionalism and time Ed.

If you would like to attend one of Edward Santos' classes, please visit: http://www.centertargetsports.com/ to view his class descriptions and schedules, or call 208-773-2331.
If time and finances permit, take some of these type of classes so you can be more prepared to live to see tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. IPSC
    ( International Practical Shooting Confederation)
    Google it and join....

    ReplyDelete